Rational relevance and emotional added value
For online retailers, there is no doubt that only high-quality products are in stock and unique services are in the store's repertoire. However, what is obvious to entrepreneurs must also be communicated to the target group. Many similar offers on the market make the USP disappear. Information in the online store and a flawless product are assumed.
For this reason, brands need to communicate emotional added value in order to stand out from the crowd. This is where strategic storytelling comes into play as a marketing tool:
Strategic storytelling ...
... is long-term and sustainable.
... arouses the interest of customers and generates emotions.
... enables the (re)positioning of a brand.
... supports the company's goals and has a positive effect on the brand image.
... is oriented towards the interests, wishes and problems of the target group.
... is authentic.
People love stories that are not about numbers, facts or products, but about the people themselves. That's why they contribute to identification with the brand. They provide inspiration and courage and motivate action. Good stories are not only entertaining, but also meaningful. As a result, they stay in people's minds, are readily retold and shared via social media, for example.
The big challenge now is: how to tell emotional stories?
- Corporate Story: Themes are defined from an overarching story, from which small individual stories emerge that are used in internal and external communications as well as in press and public relations.
- Visual leitmotif: Messages are conveyed through metaphors and figurative language that follow a visual leitmotif.
- Content marketing: Complementing the online store, a blog as well as social media channels help to underpin products with stories. Product texts, appealing product photography and imagery help to emotionalize the brand and create an unforgettable shopping experience.
- Multimedia use: The essence of the story must remain tellable across different media and is prepared according to the chosen platform.
- Formulate visions: Any kind of communication should not stick to the past, but focus on goals and visions.
- Create excitement: Innovative ideas bring a breath of fresh air so that customers are not bored, but are positively surprised and recognize themselves in the stories.
In storytelling, the key is to show courage and let people become heroes with their stories. When you look at the brand as a human-like being, strategic storytelling is like a way of life. Positive experiences and memories make a brand unforgettable for people. Stories make the brand approachable and tangible. Let's make sure it becomes immortal.
Design of the web shop
In order to retain website visitors or customers in the long run, habitual preferences must not be disregarded. One usability orgasm follows the next, but the user does not feel secure? To prevent this, the wheel doesn't have to be completely reinvented. There are certain conventions such as reading direction, page layout and familiar icons that users are familiar with because they have "grown up" with them. The floppy disk as an icon for saving, for example, is common and is still used, even though it has long been outdated. Instead of being a dull accessory, graphics support or explain the function and follow the goal of the web page.
For stories to take shape, a visual leitmotif is needed that is reflected wherever communication takes place. Put an end to boring facts and interchangeable product information in online stores. Find out all the useful tips for successful webshop design in our checklist.
Stefano Viani is the managing director of Blackbit digital Commerce GmbH He is always up to date with the latest developments and trends in e-commerce and digital marketing. For decades he has been a consultant for large and medium-sized companies for the technical, visual and advertising optimisation of websites. In particular, he develops concepts and measures for successful sales marketing.
Do you have any questions or would you like a personal consultation?
Blackbit is a Vue Storefront Partner!
Happy 10th Anniversary, Nadine!
Dmytro remains optimistic. Welcome to Blackbit!
OMR 2023: BigCommerce and Blackbit on Stage
Leave us feedback